The Circulation Manager oversees, executes, and analyzes all circulation related activity for MIT Technology Review magazine (www.technologyreview.com), including increasing subscriptions and forecasting trends in the marketplace.
The ideal staffer is a self-starter comfortable coordinating, executing and analyzing all aspects of the customer journey—acquisition, onboarding, engagement, retention, and winback—to achieve circulation and revenue goals.
The Circulation Manager is highly analytical, quantitative, nimble and creative; an independent-thinker with the ability to critically incorporate data and testing into the decision-making process. Curiosity, motivation and rigor, but not rigidity, are a must.
- Cultivate a keen interest in how technology affects society and business; technology information in the larger media marketplace, as well as an understanding of audience and MITTR as a whole
- Generate subscription revenue through newsstand sales, direct mail, renewals (including automatic renewals) and invoicing
- Plan, coordinate and execute 4 to 6 direct mail campaigns per year
- Develop, implement and manage retention and billing strategy and activities (online and offline, digital and print).
- Partner with IT, operations and Customer Service/Fulfillment partners to optimize execution strategies and implementation
- Create, maintain and distribute standard and ad hoc reports for all online and offline engagement and retention activities to ensure effectiveness and drive decisions.
- Primary point of contact for third-party relationships related to circulation, including interfacing with fulfillment provider, data warehouse, newsstand and overseas and domestic fulfillment
- Perform activities related to the publication audit and publisher’s statement
- Manage creative, operational and production processes for all renewal and invoicing promotions; works with internal partners and external vendors to ensure timely, accurate, and successful completion
- Produce expense budgets and ensure that promotions and plans remain within budget
- B.A./B.S. in marketing, communications, business, or related area
- 7+ years of experience in continuity marketing or circulation management, with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies. Preferably in media or publishing
- Profound understanding and hands-on experience in direct mail and best practices
- Deep knowledge of circulation management, including publication audit process
- Experience with postal regulations
- Pronounced vendor management skills
- Hands-on experience implementing and managing onboarding, engagement and retention programs
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Proven experience in both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of direct response retention marketing
- Light copywriting skills focused on direct marketing and retention of users/subscribers
- Fluency with Google Analytics and BI tools such as Looker, a plus
MIT Technology Review offers an intellectually charged, creative work environment with competitive compensation and benefits through MIT.
To apply: please visit jobs.mit.edu, job ID #14405. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
About MIT Technology Review (www.technologyreview.com)
MIT Technology Review is an independent media company owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The oldest technology magazine in the world (established 1899), MIT Technology Review’s mission is to promote the understanding of emerging technologies and to analyze their commercial, economic, social, and political impacts on society, government, businesses, academic institutions, and individuals. Our goal is also to assist business and technology leaders—CTOs, senior technologists, entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists—in shaping markets and driving the global economy.Apply