Director, Custom Content and Sponsored Advertising
MIT Technology Review (www.technologyreview.com) seeks a senior-level content creator to direct our custom editorial, sponsored content and advertising projects.
This is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned individual with a background in technology and business, an entrepreneurial spirit, proven ability to manage complex projects across a wide array of media types, and contacts in the creative, business and technology communities. The candidate will have a deep understanding of how technology affects business and will be able to imagine and architect extraordinarily engaging experiences for our ad partners.
The Director of Custom Content and Sponsored Advertising will direct and create the custom editorial, sponsored content and advertising projects for MIT Technology Review.
This includes managing complex content and advertising projects across a wide array of media types utilizing expertise and contacts in the creative, business and technology communities. Will imagine and architect extraordinarily engaging experiences for our ad partners based on a deep understanding of how technology affects business.
Working closely with our sales team and clients, the successful candidate will conceptualize and create world-class original custom content to be produced across a variety of dynamic media types including: branded micro-sites, online articles, research reports/surveys, video, white papers, infographics, interactive content collections, print advertorials, and the occasional live event.
This role is responsible for the hands on oversight of content production from initial concept development through product delivery, working with and managing freelance writers, copy editors, researchers, videographers and designers.
In addition, the director will establish and maintain custom-editorial quality standards, and may write, edit, and copy-edit other MIT TR non-editorial materials such as executive communications, PR/marketing collateral, event agendas and speaker bios.
- Conceptualize, write, assign, edit, and manage several custom projects for multiple clients each year
- Work with company leadership and sales team to conceive new custom and native ad products
- Work closely with sales team on appropriate concepts and language for proposals for custom work
- Build client relationships, including participation in client meetings and calls
- Work closely with sales and product development and design teams on project execution
- Work with the design and product development team to ensure that projects are compelling across all our platforms
- Develop guidelines and processes to ensure consistent product quality
- Develop processes to streamline content production while maintaining high quality
- Develop and manage a network of freelance writers, copy editors, and designers
- Time permitting, write, edit, or copy-edit materials as needed for MIT TR business, PR/marketing, and events divisions
- The ability to oversee a growing focus on research and survey development is a plus
- BA/BS in journalism, science, technology, business or the equivalent required.
- At least 7 years of traditional and rich-media content creation experience in the fields of science, business, or technology
- Demonstrated excellence in producing a variety of editorial products on tight deadlines
- The ability to conceptualize, write and edit stories that will satisfy a demanding, intelligent, technology-savvy and highly literate audience
- Strong time management skills; the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with tight timelines while crafting new proposals, often on short notice
- Previous experience with custom publishing is expected. Experience with marketing, research and/or advertising is a plus
MIT Technology Review offers an intellectually charged, creative work environment with competitive compensation and benefits through MIT.
To apply: please visit jobs.mit.edu, job ID #14539. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
About MIT Technology Review
MIT Technology Review is an independent media company owned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The oldest technology magazine in the world (established 1899), MIT Technology Review’s mission is to promote the understanding of emerging technologies and to analyze their commercial, economic, social, and political impacts on society, government, businesses, academic institutions, and individuals. Our goal is also to assist business and technology leaders—CTOs, senior technologists, entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists—in shaping markets and driving the global economy.Apply