Partnerships Director, Solve
Solve is a new initiative from MIT aimed at developing and implementing real and lasting solutions to the world’s greatest challenges— from education and health to energy and inequality.
Solve brings together technologists and researchers, social entrepreneurs and business leaders, policy makers, change agents, and activists, from across the globe to work on specific actionable challenges. Solve then creates partnerships to fund and implement the best solutions. Joining the Solve team offers the chance to play a leading role in defining this cutting-edge and diverse community.
To achieve its mission, a significant part of Solve’s work centers around hosting open competitions across four pillars – Learn, Cure, Fuel and Make. Anyone can participate in a Solve challenge and submit a solution. If a participant’s idea has the potential for impact, they will be invited to one of our Solve events to pitch their idea, with the chance to receive support from Solve and its partners, and participate in our flagship Solve at MIT event scheduled for May 2017.
For more information about Solve, please visit: http://solve.mit.edu/
For more information about Solve’s current open challenges, please visit: http://solvecolab.mit.edu/
The Partnerships Director will play a key role in supporting the Executive Director to set up this new initiative within MIT. They will notably spearhead the fundraising and partnerships strategy for Solve, recruiting and managing relations with sponsors and partners for all Solve activities, including Solve events.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and build a movement to address the biggest issues of our time. This is a full-time position, located in Cambridge, MA, and the Partnerships Director will report to the Executive Director, Solve.
- Work with Executive Director and other stakeholders to design Solve’s fundraising and partnerships strategy, including outreach, pricing, packages, and core guidelines
Management and oversight
- Responsible for delivering sponsor and partner multi-million-dollar revenue target
- Oversee and manage relationship action plans for all sponsors and partners
- Respond in timely fashion with best in class service for existing and potential sponsors and partners
- Oversee staff (in FY 2017, expected to be 1-2) and consultants as needed
- Working with Executive Director, Solve Community Directors and designated advisors, develop targeted list of potential sponsors and partners
- Work with MIT’s Resource Development and other relevant MIT stakeholders to generate and coordinate on leads, potentially coordinating multiple asks as relevant
- Work with Content and Digital Director to develop pitch decks for sponsors and partners
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of Solve’s identified challenges and Solve event program; Translate dense material into potential sponsor and partnering opportunities
- Participate in conferences and events as needed to generate sponsor and partner leads
- Oversee outreach, pitching and meetings with potential sponsors and partners bringing in relevant Solve staff to support as needed
Closing and Contracts
- Lead negotiations with interested sponsors and partners to finalize details of partnerships and their participation
- Liaising with relevant Technology Review and MIT departments, finalize contracts and oversee execution
- Working with Finance, issue invoices and follow up for timely payment
Relationship management and renewals
- Lead and oversee all prospect, sponsor and partner relations, providing best in class service throughout experience
- Design individualized schedules for sponsor and VIP delegates to Solve at MIT and Solve at x events
- Oversee sponsors’ and partners’ experiences during Solve at MIT and Solve at x events, ensuring excellent customer service
- Collect feedback, following up in timely fashion to address any issues and position Solve in best light to ensure renewals
Minimum Required Skills
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in project management, with at least 5 years’ experience in partnership, business development, fundraising, or development for events, social impact or non-profit organizations
- At least 2 years’ experience managing staff
- Proven ability to effectively build relations with world-class corporate, foundation, and individual partners and sponsors
- Proven ability to deliver multi-million dollar annual targets, designing and closing sponsor packages of $250,000-$1million+
- Extensive contacts in relevant corporations and foundations that can be utilized immediately
- Experience working in a complex multi-layered environment with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to build and leverage relationships both internally and externally
- Strong executive presence; effective leadership skills
- Must be flexible and able to work independently, take initiative and anticipate needs
- Confident decision maker
- Strong verbal and written communications skills a must
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred
MIT offers an intellectually charged, creative work environment with competitive compensation and benefits through MIT.
To apply: please visit web.mit.edu/jobs #13989. No phone calls or recruiters, please.Apply